095_Boralex_170910.jpg

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION

What are the benefits of wind energy?  

 

At a time when energy and environmental concerns are top priorities, wind energy is a response to our growing energy needs that maintains the highest regard for the environment. 

The power of the wind produces green, renewable and sustainable energy that does not generate any waste or air emissions. In addition to its environmental benefits, wind energy offers various other advantages:

  • Lowest-cost power generation technology 

  • Complements Hydro-Québec's large hydroelectric dams, and high winter wind energy production helps Hydro-Quebec meet peak winter demands 

  • Excellent and abundant wind resources in Quebec 

  • Economic engine for development and job creation 

  • No greenhouse gas or toxic waste emissions 

  • Renewable energy 

  • Competitive and stable installation and operating costs 

  • No fuel required

How does a wind farm work?  

 

Wind turbines generate low voltage electricity that is increased to a level of up to 35 kV by a transformer inside the tower. The electricity is then transmitted by an underground collector line to the substation, where the electrical voltage is increased again to be transmitted over the power grid. 

In Quebec, developers such as Boralex and Énergir are required to sell the electricity they produce to Hydro-Québec, which then redistributes it to homes and industries throughout Quebec. 

eolienne_En.png

What is the nature of the partnership between Boralex, Énergir and the Séminaire de Québec? 

Boralex and Énergir hold an exclusive agreement with the Séminaire de Québec to develop wind power projects on Seigneurie de Beaupré private land, a privileged access to this outstanding property. 

Do wind turbines make a lot of noise?  

At the foot of a wind turbine, noise levels can reach 50 dB, which is equivalent to the ambient noise in a library. When there are high winds, the turbines operate at full speed, but the surrounding noise—caused by the wind or the rustling of leaves, for example—can mask the sound that the turbines emit. 

How many Quebec homes’ annual electricity needs are met by Seigneurie de Beaupré Wind Farms? 
 

Nearly 70,000 Quebec homes.  

How much wind is needed for a wind turbine to start producing energy? 

 

According to the Canadian Wind Energy Association, a wind turbine usually begins to rotate when wind speed reaches 13 km/h. The quality of Seigneurie de Beaupré’s wind resources is excellent, with an average wind speed of 30 km/h. 

What is the average life of a wind turbine? 

The average life of a wind turbine is over 20 years. 

Once the wind farm power purchase agreements expire, what will happen if they are not renewed? 

At the end of the contract, if no renewal agreement is concluded with Hydro-Québec, Seigneurie de Beaupré Wind Farms will be decommissioned in a responsible manner that respects the communities and the environment. 

 

What is a community wind farm?

 

To promote the social acceptability and ensure long-term and significant economic benefits in the host communities, the Government of Quebec launched a community wind farm program in 2010, so that local communities or Regional county municipalities (RCM) could invest equity in a project and become financial partners, enabling them to receive a share of the revenue generated by the wind farm.

The Côte-de-Beaupré Wind Farm is a community project, making the RCM of La Côte-de-Beaupré owners at 49% while the remaining 51% is owned by Boralex. This means that 49% of the revenues generated by the wind farm are distributed to the RCM.  Part of these revenues are put in a regional development fund that supports sustainable economic and social development projects.